This lesson will introduce learners to common substances used in BC and will explore the effects that problematic substance use has on individuals and families. We will consider the relationship between pain management and problematic substance use and will compare illicit substances with prescription medications.
By the end of this module you will be able to:
- Recognize basic substances.
- Describe the effects of substance use.
- Explore the relationship between pain management and developing problematic substance use.
- Compare illicit substances with prescription medications.
This lesson will cover the major psychoactive substances used in BC. A psychoactive drug is any substance that directly alters the normal functioning of the Central Nervous System (CNS).
Psychoactive substances fall into three major categories.
- Depressant (which includes Opiates/Opioids, Sedative Hypnotics and Alcohol)
Click on a topic below to go through this lesson.
- Topic 1 – Stimulants
- Topic 2 – Depressants
- Topic 3 – Hallucinogens/Psychedelics
- Topic 4 – Polysubstance Use
- Topic 5 – Effects of Problematic Substance Use on Families
- Topic 6 – Pain Management and Problematic Substance Use
- Topic 7 – Illicit versus Legal Substances
- Topic 8 – Rise of Prescription Drug Misuse